Translate

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

What Do I Have to Offer?


     This is a BIG and timeless question.  The answer depends on our individual 
experiences, talents, areas of expertise and resources. 

      First - a little bit of my background - I entered the workforce as a janitor 
during high school and early college.  I then, worked my way up to sewing bodies
back together after undergoing autopsies in a Camden, NJ hospital.  With that 
expertise and a BS in biology, I met the qualifications to become a bartender in 
Yellowstone and then a ski bum in Colorado.  From there, I married my best 
friend and went back to school to become a Physician's Assistant. I also became
a volunteer community mediator for a few years, lay preacher, and a part-time 
contractor.  I've met and developed relationships with countless people - some 
short-lived and some life-long.  I've worked with the homeless, the hard-working
poor in places like Ethiopia & Honduras, and the ultra-wealthy in NY.  In the 
process, I've encountered really wonderful human beings and more than my 
share of odd ducks - especially while hitch-hiking through most of the USA
over three years. 

     None of this makes me any smarter or wiser than anyone else, but I do believe
the depth and breadth of our experiences can color our perspective.  

       Now that you have a little bit of my background, let me bring you into my 
hopes for this blog.  When we encounter a situation or read about some 
controversial issue, we're prone to latch onto our fully developed positions and 
resistant to truly engage with those from different camps.  The "news" and 
social media are mechanisms of reinforcement.  Occasionally I watch both Fox 
News and CNN to compare their views on specific topics.  What I don't learn is 
the middle ground between positions. 

     My GOAL with this blog is to present either an experience, encounter, 
or some contemporary issue, and then explore the topic,  focusing on the
common ground where we might agree.  
 -  Thanks for your attention and hopefully for your two cents.
           Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment