Translate

Friday, December 9, 2022

DARK ROAST AND MAGIC

 




   It’s 2 AM, and my cup is full - not with coffee but with blessings (the java was consumed five hours earlier while driving home from a concert). I had just slowly awakened to the song - “The Rebel Jesus” by Jackson Browne. It was running through my head but I was stuck on the first line: “The streets are filled with laughter and light and the music of the season,” but I couldn’t remember the word laughter.  In my half-sleep, I kept wanting to insert the word Magic.

    Back to last night - with my precious granddaughter on my lap, and my wife Emily & daughter Vera to my left side, we are watching my nine year old grandson, Nathan*, on a Christmas stage with fifty other kids. They are  singing their hearts out. “Nathan” is not, and probably never will.  He’s on the non-verbal “end” of the autism spectrum if there is one.  We watch as he smiles and makes a slow turn to check out the voices behind him. Then, with his hand on his butt, he checks out the singers on the other side. The clarity & beauty of voices surrounding him almost hurts, but it’s therapeutic.

( *Nathan is not his real name)

     As my wife dries her eyes, I see my daughter's loving arm wrap around her shoulder, and I silently pray. I’m praying, not for him to sing, but merely for a sign that he can in some way connect with those kids that are having silly fun all around him.  Nathan turns again and I realize his pivot point hasn’t changed in over five minutes and that’s amazing progress for him.  As the third song ends, the crowd goes wild and Nathan joyfully claps.  My daughter comforts her mom with a smile, adding - “he's having a blast” - and it’s true.

     We make our way to their van and then back to their house. Nathan runs into the dark to his frost-covered swing.  Ten minutes later he joins us for a parting hug as we head out the back door.  My bride and I walk slowly to the car parked out front.  As I get in, I notice silhouettes.  Nathan and Vera are watching us from the front picture window.  I wave like I have dozens of times over the years.  I see Vera point to us as she waves.  And for the first time ever, my much loved grandson waves back!   

       Is it any wonder that I can’t sleep and can only think of the word Magic?

2 comments: