Translate

Thursday, December 15, 2022

When an Instructor Becomes the Student

 



       For quite a few years I've worked teaching adaptive sports to people with 
physical and cognitive disabilities. I learned early on that there's no helpful 
place for pity to dwell in a particularly challenging life.

      Last month, I met a guy named Tim while traveling through Racine,

a city near Milwaukee. He was in the local Kwik-Trip gas station blindly tapping

his way up the aisle - I mean literally!  He was holding a frozen chicken pot pie

in one hand and finding his way with the other. When I said - “Hello,” to let him

know I was up ahead, he gave a hearty “Hi” like we were old friends. He

looked to be close to fifty and had a ruddy complexion suggesting he wasn't

any homebody. He asked - “could you do me a favor and tell me how I'm

supposed to cook this?” I slowly read the instructions, then reminded myself

that this guy is blind, not dull. He thanked me, and we said our goodbyes.

After I’d made a pit stop and gotten my coffee, I headed out toward my car.  

    

     There he was, cheerfully tapping his red and white cane through the gas

pumps and cars toward the four-lane highway. I “nonchalantly” raced over

and asked if I could help him, to which he responded - “I’ve been here a lot

and I’m just headed to the motel down the road”, as he pointed toward the

setting sun.  But I didn’t see any motel.  I gave him a ride and about a

half-mile down the road he told me to “go in the next driveway” (based on my

speed).  As we went around the curve, he pointed ahead - “room 34 should

be “about there” and he was off by one car width in the pothole-laden parking

lot.  The motel was a dive but he seemed perfectly content.  As we came to a

stop, he put out his hand, and with a smile, introduced himself. “I’m Tim, but

there are a lot of Tim's out there, so my friends just call me ‘Blind Tim’"

Thanks for the ride. “


     As I drove off I realized Tim showed no outward signs of carrying any extra

burdens in life. He seemed perfectly OK with the hand he'd been dealt.

As for me, I'm afraid I would have found a little room for self pity.

But then again, I'm not close to a finished project.




No comments:

Post a Comment