Translate

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Surviving Stupid - The First in a Series

      I like to think that there's a big difference between acting stupid 

and being stupid, but periodically I have blurred that line. The ability 

to ignore red flags of reason was a trait I picked up from my father. 

It's never intentional, but like many maladaptive behaviors

it just weaves its way into one's life story.

 



      A Beautiful, Horrifying Experience

     When my daughter was just a toddler, my wife and I took her to 

the Knoxville Zoo in Tennessee.  Relatively few animals were confined 

to small cages and most, such as the grey wolves, had large enclosures.

All three of us enjoyed aimlessly wandering, as we took in the

marvels of God's handiwork.  By late afternoon however,  I started

 to wonder.  How could any respectable zoo not have a big cat area?  

     We turned onto the only remaining asphalt path which eventually 

led to a huge enclosure in the trees.  Bordering the path was an old

split-rail fence.  And set back from that was a tall heavy-duty

anchor fence surrounding the enclosure. A small cement building sat

 in the front corner, surrounded by a bright halo of the setting sun. 

     It was then that I got to "thinking."   Even with my toddler on my 

shoulders, it would be so easy to just step over that fence.  What mortal

could resist?  As we neared the dark building, the sun's glare eased, 

and my eyes started to adjust.  I saw a heavy door with a few bars in its 

opening.  As I started to look in, there was an enormous WHAM as a 

Siberian tiger pounced and shook that door.  The encounter lasted a mere 

second but I still vividly recall that amazing animal eying my precious 

daughter like she was some twenty-five pound Big Mac.  "Oh Shit," was 

all I could get out as I slithered away.

     Over the years I've thought about this little incident many times and it 

still gets my juices flowing.  Then there are the lessons, the biggest

being a new perspective on those ridiculous warnings that we all detest.  

"Don't carry packages from strangers onto airplanes," or "Don't operate 

chainsaws while on mind-altering drugs."  Those messages are for everyday 

people, all too much like me.  


     

No comments:

Post a Comment