Translate

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

A Tiny Glimpse Of a Bigger Picture

       






     Hopefully everyone has had at least one really fine moment when they've

sensed a connection with a force or spirit beyond comprehension.  Maybe it's 

a fleeting glimpse of some bigger picture or the suggestion of a higher purpose

which rattles our spiritual foundation or lack thereof.  

     

     One pristine summer day, maybe twelve years ago, I was headed from the

mountains of  Upstate New York to Wrightsville Beach in Virginia.   I was riding

my newly acquired, 600 cc Honda Shadow.  It was pretty much a toy version of a 

Harley Davidson Sportster.  Think "Easy Rider", but with a top speed of eighty in 

a racing tuck. I had worked my way from country roads to the eight-lane beltway

around Annapolis. My throttle was wide open, I was lost, and continuously 

tail-gated / surrounded by tractor trailers.  I could be cool and suggest it was 

just a hassle, but I truly thought I was going to die right there - my legacy being 

an unrecognizable splat in the road.  To my great relief, the traffic eventually 

thinned and I triumphantly exited at the first rest area I saw.


     As I relaxed my derriere on the wide supportive surface of a picnic table, 

an elderly couple walked by, talking in hushed tones.  I said something 

like,  "How are you folks doing on such a beautiful day?"  They gave a positive 

answer but their tone betrayed them as they looked at each other.  My response 

was, "I'm not convinced."  They came toward me and over the next twenty

minutes or so,  shared a snapshot of what they and their seriously ill daughter 

were dealing with.  I listened as they shared the many dead ends they were 

facing.  Their story was heart-breaking, but the despair they initially emanated 

lessened as their floodgates opened.


     After we hugged and parted, I pulled out my map to figure out where

 I was, and how to get back on track.  Then I had a thought - What 

if I was on the right track the whole time?


     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment