Translate

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Why am I here?

                                           

      

      I've been blessed with a number of days where 

the answer was not only suggested, but placed right 

in my hands.  One of the more dramatic experiences 

happened when I was working as a relatively new 

ER physician assistant in Upstate NY.  As I was 

charting on one patient, I heard over the hospital speakers:

"CODE BLUE - Radiology."  As I stood up, I saw an 

X-Ray tech running down the hall toward us.  Drooped 

over his arm was a completely lifeless two-week-old 

baby boy!  I tipped his head back, but still no breath, 

no pulse, no heart sounds. I started thumb compressions

as the ER doctor located a newborn-sized face mask.  

With my hands squeezing his tiny chest, that little

guy not only came back to life, but let out a glorious 

wail!  And that day I knew why I was here. 

     As with a large portion of people who work hard 

every day in their chosen field, my job had morphed 

into more of a grind. I spent most days just running 

to put out simultaneous brushfires. In the back of my

mind I always knew that it was usually a significant 

event that brought our patients to the ER.  But this 

one little boy woke ME up!

     Some special days we're just blessed with an 

opportunity to make a tangible difference in someone's 

life.   First responders, teachers, scientists, plumbers, 

and even politicians* may benefit others all day long

but the best of them just do their fine work noiselessly,

making the world a better place, and that's  A GREAT 

REASON TO BE HERE !


*Counselors, electricians, parents, laborers, waitresses, &

CPR instructors, etc.  - you get the idea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment